If your like me and enjoy a fresh scented home, here is an easy and cost effective way to make your own air fresheners. Try it. Let me know if it works for you.
Homemade Gel Air Freshener
2 cups water
4 packages Gelatin (plain)
15 to 20 drops Essential Oil (adjust to personal preference)
1 to 2 TBS salt
- In a small pot, mix 1 cup water, essential oil and food coloring. As soon as it starts to boil, remove from heat.
- Completely dissolve gelatin and salt in the hot water then add the other cup of water (cold)–stir well (gently so it doesn’t foam).
- Pour into jars and set aside for a couple days before using so the gelatin has a chance to completely set (you can refrigerate to speed up the process). Once cooled, cover with lids that have a few holes punched in them to allow fragrance to escape.
The salt in this recipe is used to help combat mold, please make sure to add it.
- Follow the recipe above but substitute the 2 cups of water and the essential oil with 2 cups of concentrated liquid potpourri. As above, heat 1 cup first with the food coloring, remove from heat, dissolve the gelatin and salt then add the other cup.
Super Smelly Jelly Recipe
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1 pkg of 4-serving jelly powder (ie. box of instant Jello)
- 1 Tbsp. vodka
- 1/4 tsp dish soap
- Essential Oil or Fragrance
Combine & set in a jar with holes poked in the top. The vodka is to help prevent the jelly become moldy.
- Make sure the jars are completely clean before pouring in the hot liquid.
- You could cover the top with lace or netting instead of jar lids. Tie decoratively with ribbons, raffia, whatever you fancy.
- Any heat proof glass jar will do. Collect jam & jelly jars, mason jars or even baby food jars can be used for the Smelly Jellies.
Feel free to post any comments.